Looking to join our team?
All available positions are listed below and are updated frequently. Each position may have different requirements, so please read the listings carefully. If no current openings are listed, please don’t get discouraged, we always accept applications in the office.
- Complete application and be sure to sign the last page
- E-mail application with resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Please note to which position you're interested in applying
- We accept applications in the office if you prefer to print and bring in person
We are looking for candidates with a background in the sawmill industry. Individuals with prior work experience are encouraged to apply, however we are willing train the right candidates on the job. Candidates will be performing the following functions: removes wood from conveyor, stacks wood in designated area. Physical requirements: heavy lifting, pushing, pulling, bending, twisting. Cleanup duties will be part of the daily job functions at the sawmill. Must be able to work in fast paced environment while maintaining safety. Candidates need to have a good attendance record and able to work any shift. Qualified individuals can apply in person or respond to this posting by emailing a resume and cover letter.
SELECTED CANDIDATES SUBJECT TO BACKGROUND CHECK AND DRUG SCREENING
Dry Kiln Operator
Dry Kiln Operators are responsible for operating kilns that dry wood to desired moisture contents. Dry Kiln Operators monitor heat conditions to ensure proper drying. Kiln Operator are responsible for prepping loads, drying schedules, loading, unloading, and the proper drying of materials. Kiln Operators will be required to operate a forklift to complete the drying process.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent
Verifiable Kiln Operating experience of 2-5 years is required.
Ability to drive a forklift safely and efficiently without damaging lumber, machinery, or kilns.
Knowledge of forklifts, uses, repair, and maintenance. Ability to inspect equipment for safety prior to use, and perform necessary basic maintenance tasks. Knowledge of kilns and how they operate including repair, diagnosis, and maintenance. Knowledge of heating systems, boilers, and other heat related equipment would be beneficial.
Production and Processing
Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, and other techniques for maximizing loads efficiently and effectively to meet all drying requirements.
Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
Reviewing processes and procedures to ensure effective and efficient drying operations and system performance.
- Stage and prep lumber to be loaded into kilns. Remove kiln charges at the appropriate times.
- Create and follow load schedules per priority and work with management to ensure timely processes.
- Monitor kiln drying operations and ensure accuracy of moisture content. Perform inspections and quality control of dried wood.
- Perform preventative maintenance on the kilns. Communicate with maintenance team on any issues or concerns of kiln operations.
- Ensure that each kiln is loaded safely and properly.
- Manage all kiln operations and processes.
- Quality control: Ensuring orders match up with kiln charges and the drying schedule.
- Maintain housekeeping in and around kilns. Free of debris and stickers for loads.
- Ensure a safe work environment while operating forklift and handling lumber.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Learning Strategies: Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems and create kiln capacity functions.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding shipping and sales terminology while understanding the fiber sizes and grades.
Communication: Talking to others to convey information effectively. This pertains to Co-Workers and Management.
Time Management: Managing one's own time to complete all tasks each day. Making sure specific tasks that involve others are not held up.
Team Work: Required to work with others within the department and Management to ensure efficient and accurate drying operations as well as maintaining effective processes.
Exposed to the elements year round when out of the forklift. Forklifts do provide heat while in cab during cold winter months. Driver is out of the elements while inside the cab.
Herbert Lumber Company is a family owned and operated sawmill that has been in business since 1947. We are a unique cutting mill that specializes in high quality custom cut timbers. We are known for our family oriented culture and it is our mission to continue to serve the lumber industry with top quality products.